Two Situations When You Should Consult A Workers' Compensation Attorney

Law Blog

When you're injured on the job, you have the right to file a workers' compensation claim to seek restitution for your injuries. Workers' compensation will typically cover your injury-related medical expenses and a portion of your salary for lost work time. If you live in a no-fault workers' compensation state, you might think that you won't need the services of an attorney during your claim. However, there are some situations where you should still consider retaining one. Here are two of those situations when you should consult a workers' compensation attorney before proceeding through your claim:

If You Disagree With The Doctor

In some cases, your employer can send you to the doctor of their choice to have your injury evaluated when you file your injury report. That means you have to see their doctor, not your own. While this usually isn't a problem, there are some cases when you might dislike the way the doctor handled the situation or you might disagree with their findings. Even if you just feel like the doctor didn't take you seriously, that's cause for concern.

In cases like this, you typically have the legal right to request a new doctor. However, most cases only permit you to request a new doctor once as part of your claim. For that reason, it is important that you consult a workers' compensation attorney before you make that request. Having an attorney work on your behalf can help to ensure that you get to see the proper doctor or specialist that you need for your injury.

If You Didn't Report The Injury Right Away

If you want to seek worker's compensation support and treatment for your injury, it is important that you report your injury to your employer right away. If you don't do so, whether you're worried about retaliation or you don't think it's that serious, you may actually face having your claim denied.

By not reporting your injury right away, there's no way for your employer to be sure that it actually happened on the job. They can question the validity of the claim and refuse to cover it. Before you file a delayed report, consult a workers' compensation attorney. He or she will evaluate the details of the situation and help you to file the claim. With their support, you'll have a better chance of getting the compensation that you should for your injury.

Contact a lawyer like Gerald Lutkenhaus for more information and assistance. 


29 July 2017