You May Need A Lawyer Even For Small Claims Court

Law Blog

Even if you are owed only a small amount of money, this doesn't necessarily mean that you can't seek compensation for your damages. However, you will likely need to fight your case in small claims court. The court proceedings are more simple than a typical court proceeding but you may still need a lawyer.

How a Case Can Land in Small Claims Court

If you are doing business in a particular state, you are allowed to sue in small claims court within that state. One example of this would be to sue for the repossession of a piece of property. 

For example, if you lent a car to your friend and they didn't return it, you may take your friend to small claims court to repossess the car or to receive compensation for it. It is more efficient to settle a case out of court but a small claims court is there for when you are not able to resolve a case yourself. If the value of your case is less than a few thousand dollars, you may not be able to fight it in small claims court.

Small Claims Court Attorneys

Some states do not allow you to hire an attorney, but you can make a quick call to a law firm to find out if this is the case in your state. You are allowed to represent yourself in court or you can choose to hire a small claims court attorney. If the other party has hired an attorney, you are better off hiring one as well. 

Regardless, you will need to invest more time if you do not hire a lawyer and you might believe that your time is better spent focusing on your responsibilities while your small claims lawyer focuses on winning your case. You might also make mistakes that may lead to you not receiving full compensation. If you do decide to hire an attorney to represent you, ask them about any fees you will be expected to pay.

The Outcome of Your Case

If you win your small claims court case, the other party might simply write a check to pay you. However, there are other options available to you such as obtaining levy access to a bank account, obtaining wages directly from an employer, or even seizing property. A lawyer can inform you about the options available to you so that you can finally get paid.

Contact a company like Alaska Cascade Financial Services for more information. 


5 October 2021